Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Throwing Cake on the Floor

There’s a common misconception that shortly after Barack Obama’s inauguration in 2009, Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky said that the goal of Republicans in Congress was to make sure Obama was “a one-term president.” McConnell did say this, but it wasn’t till October 2010. The quote itself shouldn’t be all that surprising--after all, I think we can all safely assume that politicians will be rooting for their own party in the next election. Call it an a permanent underlying goal if you wish, but for crying out loud, could you at least publicly state that your first priority is to build a stronger America on behalf of the citizens you’re serving?

This article by Michael Cohen in The Guardian makes a pretty solid case for how the GOP was gone out of its way to block and sabotage Obama’s efforts toward economic recovery. One would think that such obstructionism would have the opposite effect on the GOP’s “one-term” goals. I mean, if someone bakes you a cake and you throw it on the floor, you can’t really blame the baker for the fact that you can’t eat the cake.

I wish I could say for certain that voters know who’s at fault. But I see a lot of nonmillionaires planning to vote for the Republican because they either aren’t aware or just don’t care.

I got off track there. The main reason I started this post was to joke that if Obama wins next week, I’m looking forward to McConnell saying “We’re going to do everything in our power to make sure he’s a two-term president.”

No comments: